Connect with us

Notifications

DispensaryGTA 800x80 - WeedLoving.ca - Canadian Cannabis and Mail Order Marijuana Forums

What is a residence?  

RSS
66fac0c57340a469f858c94315b7752b?s=110&d=mm&r=g - WeedLoving.ca - Canadian Cannabis and Mail Order Marijuana Forums
(@randrew)
Level 1 - Weed Newbie

I have a legal question that hasn’t been asked yet. I operate a rooming house that falls under the Inn Keepers Act. Shared common areas and bathroom etc. The rooms are exclusive use and I believe but am not sure if that makes them a separate residence. I have designated the rooming house as 420 friendly so my lodgers can light up freely. There are three rooms rented with numbers on the doors but we share a mailbox. I claim the main floor as my office.

My question is - with a setup like this - is am I allowed to grow my four plants AND are my lodgers also legally allowed to grow their own in their private rooms as well. I am not sure how the Ontario laws work with the vague wording saying four plants per residence. The police say a residence can be anything from a mansion to a cardboard box. Can you help clarify things for me?

Posted : 03/02/2019 10:25 am
c1ae67998a109275e264fe26ba394d83?s=110&d=mm&r=g - WeedLoving.ca - Canadian Cannabis and Mail Order Marijuana Forums
(@admin)
Level 11 - Ultimate Stoner Admin

I'm chummy with a couple of lawyers that now specialize in cannabis law, what they've said to me is that nothing is safe when it comes to these types of scenarios because there isn't any legal precedent established yet.

Do the people that live there signed to leases or are your lodgers living there on a monthly basis etc etc. Establishing residency would be an issue, the Inn Keepers Act sure as heck hasn't been updated to reflect what's allowed in terms of growing cannabis.

Designating yourself as 420-friendly could also be problematic if the question of residency can be challenged.

Even if you go to a lawyer, the Federal Cannabis Act is wide open to interpretation and I would imagine that you'll have some degree of legal liability in most scenarios.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 1:34 pm
Share: